Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:53:41 +0400
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: can't create users under openvz container

Colleagues,

I've just run into another issue.  I'm using Owl from the recent -current
ISO both for the HN and for the VPS; the O.S. template have been created
following the instructions found on this list's archives (thanks Galaxy!),
here: http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2007/05/08/2
Unfortunately I'm using a kernel taken right from openvz.org, not the
Openwall one, because I couln't find the OpenVZ kernel at the Openwall ftp
site.

The VPS runs, procesess seem Okay, it pings and can be accessed by ssh,
but simple useradd command fails like this:

varan101!root:~# useradd -u 1000 crocodil
useradd: cannot lock shadow password file
varan101!root:~#

Using strace I see the following:

open("/etc/tcb/crocodil/shadow.lock",
O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_NOCTTY|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOFOLLOW, 0600) = -1 EACCES
(Permission denied)

The kernel version is this:

Linux XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 2.6.18-ovz028stab056.1 #1 Mon Aug 18 13:00:29 MSD
2008 i686 GNU/Linux

May be this is a known iissue?  What am I doing wrong?

--
Croco