Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 00:04:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com, announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl updates; Linux 2.4.37.2-ow1

Hi,

I'll start with the simple stuff - there's a new revision of the kernel
patch, updated to Linux 2.4.37.2:

http://www.openwall.com/linux/

The changes between 2.4.37.1 and 2.4.37.2 are minor:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/ChangeLog-2.4.37.2

More importantly, several Owl packages have been updated, including a
security update to OpenSSH (for both Owl-current and Owl 2.0-stable):

2009/07/07	Package: openssh
SECURITY FIX	Severity: none to high, remote, active
Backported upstream fix for a syslog call inside a signal handler.  The
security impact this issue might have had was not fully evaluated.  On
Debian systems, the reported impact was processes getting stuck on locks
inside glibc.  On Owl, no problems were ever reported, yet the call was
unsafe, with the worst-case impact being arbitrary code execution
(depending on processing inside glibc).