Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:10:20 +0200
From: Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To: solar@...nwall.com
Cc: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Success report using Owl 64-bit + VirtualBox 2.2.0

Hi Alexander,

I'm simply sending you a big kudos again for your live CD. I was
looking for a way to do 64-bit builds once in a while. I've just
installed the recent VirtualBox 2.2.0 on my 32-bit slackware, and
with it I can run a 64-bit distro. Guess what I'm running in it ?

Your 64-bit live CD is just the *only* live distro around offering
a C compiler in a 64-bit environment. I'm now using it to ensure
that haproxy cleanly builds both in 32 and 64bit environments, and
this is by far the most convenient solution I have found. And as an
added bonus, it boots very quickly ;-)

I know that this usage is far from being the main target of Openwall
but since it's the only one offering such useful features and that
level of quality and user-friendliness, I wanted to send a big "thank
you guys" for the amazing work you have done there !

If I may add a very minor suggestion : if in future builds you could
create the /us/src/.rpm.d/* directories, it would be even easier to
use the live CD to build RPMs. Right now I managed to do that using
a few mount --bind tricks. But as you see, this is not a showstopper.

Cheers,
Willy