Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:44:07 +0300
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: chmod isn't validating its output?

Dmitry,

I'm just curious whether we need to fix this or not in our coreutils
package.  The following example demonstrates the issue.  It's not a
bug, but is something we might want to fix and to submit upstream.

mother!galaxy:~$ ls -l sample.file
-rw------- 1 galaxy galaxy 0 2009-01-22 11:34 sample.file
mother!galaxy:~$ chmod g+o sample.file
mother!galaxy:~$ echo $?
0
mother!galaxy:~$ ls -l sample.file
-rw------- 1 galaxy galaxy 0 2009-01-22 11:34 sample.file
mother!galaxy:~$ rpm -qf `which chmod`
coreutils-5.93-owl2
mother!galaxy:~$

Note that I supplied chmod with weird permission symbol and it didn't
complain and hasn't returned any failure code.

Since we have one of the coreutils maintainers in out team :) I thought
it would be appropriate to ask here whether I should submit the bug
report to the coreutils developers or is this "feature" here on a
purpose?  If it's the latter I would like to know why (just to learn
some history behind it :) )

--
(GM)