Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:02:19 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: no 2.0-stable ISO?

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 02:17:43AM +0300, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> Today I was asked for a recommendation what other person should install
> on their office router.  No doubt I suggested Owl, but when I was asked
> for an ISO image URL I figured out that I can provide them with the
> Owl-current ISO only since Owl-2.0-release is too old and Owl-2.0-stable
> has no ISO image at all:
> Perhaps this is something to fix?

Yes - but perhaps this is to be fixed for 2.1-stable (once we have it),
not for 2.0-stable.  That's because we only have the "make iso.gz"
functionality in -current (which the next release will be based on), not
in 2.0-stable, and we're being very conservative at getting changes into
2.0-stable.  I don't think we should change that approach now; I think
that it is more productive for us to concentrate on getting a new
release out sooner rather than later.

Right now, our users who want 2.0-stable should install 2.0-release,
then upgrade to 2.0-stable.  Indeed, this is not perfect - more work to
do and potential extra hardware support issues with the older kernel in
2.0-release.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15