Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:12:18 +0400
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Plesk 8.1.1 + Owl :)

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 06:43:12AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

> This is a really weird workaround.  There exists a simple solution -
> edit the USERNAME_MAX setting in /etc/login.defs.  By default it's 8,
> but it can be increased to 9 for the "useradd" command to add
> "webalizer".  Then it can be changed back to 8, to enforce our default
> length restriction on further users to be created.

Recalling our last discussion re: long user names I assumed that it
isn't that great to have users with names longer than 8 chars.

Re: login.defs.  Yes, I'm aware of this file but with my workaround this
file isn't tampered and further rpm -Uvh will happily upgrade it (not
leaving an .rpmsave copy).  All in all, we need that 'webalizer' user
temporarily.  Pointing out in my message to the possibility to set
USERNAME_MAX could seduce users to set this limit high (Plesk allows
very long names for client account) -- so there might be more problems.

Anyway, thanks for pointing this out.

--
(GM)