Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:17:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Plesk 8.1.1 + Owl :)

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:59:32AM +0200, Krzysztof ?niadoch wrote:
> Currently I'm using cpanel

Was cPanel easy to install on Owl?  Did you run into any issues (and
solve them)?

> Setting up Plesk on OWL is awesome solution, especially when it comes to
> security ...

Actually, I wouldn't call Plesk (or cPanel for that matter) installed on
any OS reasonably secure for my own use.  Sure, you do get some
advantages of Owl that other Linux distributions don't offer (e.g., tcb
and stronger password hashes), but other than that Plesk (or cPanel)
pretty much kills the security of any underlying Linux distribution.

The advantage of installing Plesk on Owl rather than on another Linux
distro, as I see it, is in the uniformity (if you use Owl elsewhere -
e.g., in other VPSes on the same server, as well as on its host system,
like we do on machines that we setup for the clients).  Also, Owl is
smaller and arguably cleaner than most other Linux distros that run
Plesk.  With such a setup, some security comes from the use of VPSes.

> Galaxy, it would be really helpful for me to look thorugh your notes to see
> how you deal with all of this.
> I also agree with Henri Salo that you could put this on the web (you can
> always mark the text as "highly experimental" ^_^)

Actually, posting to owl-users is quite close to placing text marked
"experimental" on the web since there are web-based archives of this
list.  A web URL for such posting could then be linked to.  And its
status as just a mailing list posting would indicate that the text is
experimental.  The message should appear here:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2007/06/

as well as on third-party web-based archives.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15