Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:31:21 +0400
From: Grigoriy Strokin <grg@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: galaxy@...nwall.com, gremlin@...mlin.ru
Subject: Re: [owl-devel] Testing User Guide & installer

(Moving the discussion to owl-users)

Gremlin, Galaxy,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:07:34AM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> Congratulations!
>
>  > trying to embed debian's initrd to Owl :-)
>
> What for? Just for detection of CD-ROM device?

No. My CD-ROM device is successfully detected by any Linux kernel (as
/dev/hda), but the SATA hard disk is not (see below)

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:03:49AM +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> Why don't you want to build a kernel from sources?  All my notebooks run
> such custom kernels.
Galaxy,

I have tried to include anything SATA-related into the kernel as
built-in rather than as modules, but it still doesn't work. Either I've
missed something, or this initrd does more than just loading required
modules: since the disk is eventually seen as /dev/sda, I suppose that
initrd configures some kind of SCSI emulation in addition to loading
required modules.

--
Grigoriy.