Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:37:10 +0100
From: "Aidan Johnstone" <aidanjoh@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: regarding kernel patch 2.4.32-ow1

On 4/4/06, gremlin@...mlin.ru <gremlin@...mlin.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:51:56PM +0100, Aidan Johnstone wrote:
>
>  > I was wondering if there is a broken up version of the -ow patches.
>  > Specifically, I'm interested in just the HARDEN_{PROC,LINK,FIFO}
>  > portions of the patch, so I thought I'd ask first, in case there is a
>  > split version anywhere. If not, how hard would it be to disentangle it
>  > from the full patch?
>
> Why not just build kernel only with that options set (without stack
> protection etc.)? :-)

As much as I'd like to, that's unfortunately not an option, as it
conflicts with other patches I have to use. I "inherited" a couple of
machines that need a kernel upgrade (they're running a really ancient
2.4.24), and the person that looked after these machines unfortunately
passed away. All I was left was a big ol' kernel patch over 4Mb in
size that applies to said kernel 2.4.24, and a small readme file
stating what the patch contains (very helpfully, among other things,
"bits stolen from openwall: CONFIG_HARDEN_{PROC,LINK,FIFO}). There's
no broken out patches of anything, but I think I managed to cobble
almost everything together nicely, all that's left is the HARDEN_ bits
and some other trivial stuff. I was hoping today was my lucky day and
there would be, in fact, broken out patches of -ow.

I'm just an admin, not a coder, but I can merge stuff together if it
doesn't spew too many non-trivial rejects, so naturally I'm a bit
afraid to make a mess while extracting the bits I need from the full
-ow patch. That's why I'm asking you guys for help ;-) Anyone out
there willing to help a fellow Owler in a bind?

Thanks a bunch, anyway.

Aidan