Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:45:40 +0100
From: Stanislaw <owl@...e.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: owl 2 bind for 1.1

Am 22.02.2006 um 22:46 schrieb Solar Designer:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 02:02:02PM +0100, Stanislav wrote:
>
>> In general is it a good idea ?
>
> Probably not, unless you have a specific reason to stay with Owl 1.1
> despite it being unsupported from now on.
>
> Why not just upgrade to Owl 2.0?  "make installworld" over your
> existing
> system should take care of everything in simple cases (that is, when
> there is no or little third-party software installed on top of Owl).
> With third-party software installed, there can be a few things for you
> to fix manually (e.g., rebuild locally-built SSL-aware applications to
> use the new version of OpenSSL).

Hello, of course i considered to upgrade the system. The only reason
are the 10% of additional installed packages. In other words my employer
wouldn't pay the necessary time to rebuild/upgrade the system.

Am 23.02.2006 um 00:22 schrieb Andreas Ericsson:

> There is the (rather ridiculous) dependency on sysklogd >= 1.4.1-owl9
> (or owl8). Stanislav, you can remove that Requires: line in the
> spec-file and rebuild, but be aware that you won't get any logs from
> it.

Hi, for an additional socket there is '-a' argument of running syslogd.
Solution would be a changed init script of syslogd.

Further investigations shows me dependencies of sed's '-i' argument.
I work around it for rpms specs with a patch file. Also a changed
init script is necessary.

But what isn't working is, building shared objects with libtool.
because of version mismatch ... haven't more time to look at it.
I tried to build statically and have some rpms now but i am unsure
of this statically version expect for higher memory consumption.

> Other than that, I agree with Solar. You should upgrade to 2.0 rather
> than backporting things to 1.1.

Is an old school type of employer that says, do not change the running
system, and i agree ;)

Thanks Stanislav