Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:13:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Openwall on Sun Enterprise 250 - kernel compile problem

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:56:49PM +0200, Honza Vlach wrote:
> I'm trying to get Openwall up and running on Sun Enterprise 250, but I'm
> unable to compile kernel. It seems that there's no 64 bit compiler
> installed. Is there a package available?

No, Owl currently does not provide a 32-to-64-bit gcc for SPARC.  You'll
have to either build a 32-bit kernel or use a non-Owl build of gcc to
build a 64-bit kernel.  The ancient 64-bit gcc from Red Hat Linux 6.2
for SPARC is known to work on Owl 1.1 and build 2.4.x kernels correctly.
Similarly, Owl itself is known to work and even rebuild OK with such
64-bit kernels.

> - - booted the system using gentoo install cd
> - - got up networking, on other system converted rpm packages to tgz and
> installed those to new root on target system
> - - installed rpms over the extracted files, so the rpm database would be ok

Why not simply run Owl's "make installworld" off the Gentoo system?

> - - extracted latest kernel packages, installed kernel headers and set
> correct privileges with:
>

> rm /usr/include/linux
> cp -R include/asm-sparc* /usr/include/asm
> cp -R include/linux /usr/include
> chown -R root:root /usr/include/{asm,linux}
> find /usr/include/{asm,linux} -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
> find /usr/include/{asm,linux} -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

This is not the Owl way of doing it.  The (fake) kernel-headers package
on Owl provides the correct symlinks under /usr/include.  On SPARC, it
also provides wrappers for 32- vs. 64-bit header files:

* Thu Nov 16 2000 Solar Designer <solar@....openwall.com>
- Imported the BuildASM script from RH to produce the magic headers
needed to build 32-bit packages when a sparc64 kernel is installed.

So you did not need to touch anything under /usr/include.  You should
have merely extracted your kernel sources under /usr/src/linux (as user
"sources") and configured the kernel (since some header files are only
produced when you do that).

As it relates to Owl on SPARC in general, we haven't been doing SPARC
builds since the 1.1 release (December, 2003) and until just a month
ago, so the binary packages available on the FTP mirrors are somewhat
dated.  However, work is currently underway to get Owl-current to build
on SPARC again, so that should be done for the next release.  Full
sparc64 userland support might be added, too, but no promises yet.  If
you would like to get involved, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar