Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:13:45 +0400
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl -> SATA only i386 machine

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 02:54:15PM +0600, damir bikmuhametov wrote:

> Is there any way to install Owl on an i386 machine that has only SATA
> IDE drives? My SATA controller (it identifies itself as "Silicon
> integrated Systems" during bootup) is not recognized by the Owl
> kernel that is shipped with the latest Owl ISO.

Damir, I've installed Owl on Silicon SATA two weeks ago.  You need to
build a module for your SATA controller and then load it with insmod.

Usually, I'm using /tmp to untar kernel source, since /tmp is located in
RAM.  After untarring and changing current working directory to the
directory with linux sources, just do "make menuconfig", enable your
Silicon controller (you should build it as a module),  then
"make dep modules".  When the build process is finished, locate the
compiled module in the kernel source tree and insmod that module to
the running kernel.

--
(GM)