Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:58:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Owl-20050913

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:52:34AM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 02:29:50PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>  > Can anyone else reproduce this problem?
>
> Yes.

Thanks...  So we've got something to fix.

What hardware are you using?  Can you try the non-rebuilt new ISO on
more machines?

Similarly, can anyone else (besides me) report that the new ISO does
indeed work OK for them, giving the LILO boot menu?  (Without the
hold-Shift workaround.)

> It seems like boot-text.b was used instead of boot-menu.b - that really
> confused even me :-)

There are no such files in the new LILO package that we're using now.
The *.b files are linked into LILO.

>  > We've changed LILO version between these two ISO snapshots.  Perhaps the
>  > new version is behaving differently in some cases (a bug?)
>
> I fixed that by rebuilding the ISO - possibly, we should do the same with
> official image.

What exactly did you do?  Did you revert to our previous version of LILO
(22.1 instead of the new 22.7), perhaps by running floppy-update.sh
non-chrooted on a system with the old LILO installed?  If so, then
_that_ is what fixed the problem, -- but it's not what we would like to
do.  We need to find and fix the bug, not revert LILO.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar