Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:36:11 +0200
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Web Server

J.B. Lethbridge wrote:
> Dear All:
>
> Hallo. I am using Owl at work, and behind it I have a local net of three
> computers. I am delighted with Owl, and must thank those responsible.

Glad you like it. :)

> In other words, the students need to http to the IP of the Owl machine,
> which will direct their requests to one of the local machiensbehind it.
> These machines run Linux.
>
> However, I don't quite know how to begin. I mean, what should I be looking
> for? a proxy, a special config for the firewall on the Owl machine, a
> router? or what is it that I need?

Destination NAT (portforwarding).

> If someone could tell me what it is that I need to set up, I am sure that
> I can manage.
>
> I'd be very grateful if someone could just say: you need a "xxx".

man iptables
info iptables

The resulting command will most likely look something like this;

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT
--to-destination 192.168.1.2:8080

if eth0 is the interface connected to internet, the inside webserver is
192.168.1.2 and that server listens to port 8080 for inbound connections.

Note that this requires kernel-support, so if iptables complains about
"target not found" or something like that you'll have to recompile the
kernel. The configuration options are at Network Options -> Netfilter
Configuration and requires "Network packet filtering" (also under
Network Options") to be enabled.

Hope the example helps.

> With many thanks,

You're welcome.