Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:48:54 +0400
From: "Melekhov Alexandre A." <amel@...ru>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Courier-Imap server on Owl

Hi.

I'd like to tell about my torments with building Courier-Imap (courier-imap-4.0.2.20050403) server on Owl (current).

Previously there was need to install courier-authlib (courier-authlib-0.55) and after that Courier-Imap was compiled and installed correctly.

Postfix was taught to put incoming mail into Maildir:

# grep Maildir /etc/postfix/main.cf
mail_spool_directory = ~%u/Maildir

and when first mail came in $HOME/Maildir creates ./cur ./tmp ./new directories - all OK.

But when I try to get mail via IMAP or POP3 (popa3d switched off) I receive an error like this:

PAM_pwdb[18076]: get passwd; pwdb: request not recognized

Thoroughly discovered this situation I've found out that the problem in files /etc/pam.d/pop3|imap which were created there by installing courier-authlib. They contains such strings (both of them):

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

After reading a lot of RTFM problem was solved by changing "auth" string into this way (honestly stolen from sshd|popa3d ;-) :
auth       required    /lib/security/pam_tcb.so shadow prefix=$2a$ count=8 debug

(debug not necessary :)

And _only_ after applying this change pop3 & imap services become ok.

Did anyone of You earlier saw this problem, and may be, found another way to resolve?

Perhaps I was wrong making this changes?

PS: Sorry for my poor english.