Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:52:45 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl-current moved to glibc 2.3.x

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:38:04AM +0300, Melekhov Alexandre A. wrote:
> > The OpenSSL upgrade bug seen in the posting below has been fixed in
> > the new Owl-current snapshot currently available on the FTP mirrors.
> >
> > Some other install/upgrade procedure bugs have been fixed as well.
>
> Not true :-(

It _is_ true.  The bug has been located and fixed, and we've tested
upgrades from 1.1 and pre-glibc-2.3-current many times.

There're two possible reasons why you might have encountered the same
problem, or what looked like the same problem:

1. You were not upgrading to the latest publicly available Owl-current,
but rather to an older snapshot.

2. You had other (non-Owl) packages installed with dependencies on the
old OpenSSL.

> BTY, after upgrade cannot assemble qmail. Previously, before upgrade, make passed fine, but now i receive an error, which couldn't determine (have no experiense in C coding)

As Steve has correctly suspected, this is the well-known qmail errno
problem on newer glibc.  You have to replace the "extern int errno;"
with "#include <errno.h>", then qmail builds.

P.S. This time we were lucky to already know this qmail/glibc bug, so
your report of it was sufficient.  But if we didn't, your report
would have been useless.  Please learn to include in any bug reports
the exact error messages you receive.  Thanks.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598