Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:48:57 +0200
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae@....se>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hello? Anybody there?

misiu_ wrote:

>>A combination of those, yes.
>>Owl is not a very old operating system so it doesn't have a great many
>>users. Usually, there are three kinds of contributors to an
>>opensource-project;
>>Developers (the Founding Father and a few of his friends at first, usually)
>>Testers (highly experienced users that doesn't exactly need
>>documentation and are often apt at pinpointing the bugs as well as just
>>noticing they exist).
>>Documentation writers (usually people who really want to contribute in
>>some way but doesn't have the programming skills required to write code).
>>

> So, I write a Install-Docu in german and put it on my website. Do you
> need Serverspace? I got 2 GB free let's say 500MB .... can you use it?
> It's a fast Server and fast Internet Connection.

That would probably be helpful, but I think it would be best if it was
kept as an unofficial installation guide with just a link from the
official Owl website. That way it doesn't add to the burden of making
sure documentation is up to date on the maintainers, while still being a
helpful piece of documentation.

>>When all this is done, you pretty much just have to sit back and wait
>>for the forums and user-created HOWTO sites to start popping up. Gentoo,
>>Debian, RedHat, Mandrake and other GNU/*/Linux-based distributions have
>>been around for a long time and has evolved faster due to not being as
>>thorough about code reviews as the Owl team.
>

> O.k. I'll wait and see what popps up and I do what I find out or can
> do....

You can write that install-docu, send a link to it to this list and make
sure it registers at Google. That will help others find it properly.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson@....se
Lead Developer