Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 03:06:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Stmpclean vs. tmpwatch

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:01:12PM +0200, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:
> Are there any big advantages of stmpclean in comparison to more
> standard tmpwatch?

When I picked stmpclean, it appeared that tmpwatch was heading in the
wrong direction.  Some newer versions of tmpwatch were essentially
fork bombs waiting to be triggered, -- but this has since been fixed
and now the latest tmpwatch doesn't look nearly as bad.

tmpwatch will remove root-owned files except for some taboo ones;
stmpclean won't remove root-owned files at all.

tmpwatch can optionally invoke fuser(1) on each file.  This is an
added feature, -- but do you really want a fork-exec for each file,
with untrusted filenames passed via the command line?  I don't want
to take responsibility for this feature and its poor implementation.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598