Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:43:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl CVSweb server; scanlogd 2.2.4

Hi,

This is to announce two unrelated things at once: the Openwall CVSweb
server and the new release of scanlogd 2.2.4.

Yes, we've setup a CVSweb server which provides convenient access to
the entire Openwall GNU/*/Linux (Owl) CVS tree including source code
for Owl and consequently also for most other pieces of Openwall
software which are now maintained as a part of Owl but are also made
available separately.  The CVSweb server allows the more experienced
users and other software developers to easily browse through revision
history and compare different versions of any source file that we've
been working on.  It is available at the following location:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com

Please note that we also continue to maintain an anonymous CVS server
supporting the CVS pserver protocol and the CVS server protocol over
SSH, and obviously we continue to make our releases and snapshots of
Owl available through the FTP mirrors.  All of these ways to obtain
Owl and thus also our other software are listed on this web page:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

Of course, the source code for scanlogd (just to give an example) is
available through the new CVSweb server too:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/scanlogd

This redirects you to the CVSweb URL for the scanlogd directory within
the Owl tree.

But if you simply want to install and use the new release of scanlogd,
you should get it at the usual scanlogd homepage URL:

	http://www.openwall.com/scanlogd/

The changes in scanlogd 2.2.4 are as follows:

scanlogd will now chroot to /var/empty to further reduce the impact of
potential bugs in scanlogd itself and in the libraries that it uses
(although there hasn't been a single bug like this found in scanlogd
in the 6 years that it exists).

When built with libnids or direct libpcap support, a smart pcap filter
expression (originally by Pavel Kankovsky) is now used to hopefully
filter out most uninteresting packets while in the kernel.

Many minor code cleanups and other enhancements have been made, and
RPM spec file and startup script for Red Hat Linux and compatible
distributions are now included.  (You should be able to build scanlogd
RPMs with "rpm -tb scanlogd-2.2.4.tar.gz", provided that you have RPM
configured for package builds under your current user account.)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598