Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:48:48 +0100
From: Marcin Siennicki <m.siennicki@...os.pl>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: modules on the CD - yet another question

W liście z pią, 12-03-2004, godz. 23:19, Solar Designer pisze:
> >    Then maybe there is enough room to add just BusLogic support
> > (for VMware)?
>
> Is that CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC?

Yes.

> Why does VMware require it?

I don't know why, I'm not kernel hacker. VMware emulates
BusLogic SCSI controller for Linux virtual installations.
Probably they couldn't make IDE hard disk emulation good
enough for Linux. IDE hard disk emulation works for
FreeBSD and Windows virtual machines, but does not work
for Linux VM. BTW, VMware is very usefull tool for testing
and shaping Linux installations - for example it can see
an iso image as a plain ATAPI CD-ROM drive, and it can boot
directly from it. And it is realy fast - on my Athlon
1800XP make bzImage takes 4 minutes. Maybe somebody could
donate VMware for Owl developers?

> > Isn't a kernel with modules support disabled more secure then
> > a kernel with the support enabled?
>
> Well, if you want my opinion:

Thanks for the answer.

Marcin