Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:18:02 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: dhcp client

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:57:12AM +0100, Berend-Jan Wever wrote:
> problem 1: dhclient seems to require a "/etc/dhclient-script", which was
> missing (shouldn't a default version have been installed with the rpm ?).
> My solution: I found the attached file on the internet and used that.
> problem 2: dhclient seems to require a "/etc/dhclient.conf" file, which was
> also missing.
> My solution: I've constructed something from man-pages and googling for
> information, also attached.

The dhcp-client subpackage is unfinished and, as you know, not built
by default or officially supported by us.

I think that you could get samples for those two files by looking
inside the source tarball the package is built from.

> BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Similarly, this is unsupported.

You would have better luck starting the DHCP client manually.

> problem 3: when "ifup" gets run to get eth0 up, it tries to use "/sbin/pump"
> instead of "/sbin/dhclient" for DHCP. (This must be an old script or
> something !?)

That's a remainder from Red Hat's networking scripts, -- which we should
drop entirely and re-implement.  There's an Owl TODO item on that.

--
/sd