Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:02:45 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Openwall GNU/*/Linux (Owl) 1.1 release

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 02:53:59AM +0100, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:
> Is there any chance that Owl will include Perl in newer version than
> current 5.6.0?  I am running Jabber server on Owl and some transports
> written in Perl require libraries working only with Perl 5.6.1 or
> later.  As for now I have Perl 5.8 installed from source in
> /opt/perl58 and I use it only for these transports, but I'd be very
> glad to have more recent version of the interpreter in the distribution.

Of course.  This is something we should do before 2.0, but it's quite
some work to do it right, -- repeating the audit of 5.8+ for unsafe
temporary file handling issues as I know our fixes didn't get in (we
did submit, but they were not quick enough to review our patches while
Perl development continued and patches became outdated).

P.S. Please post to the list with a fixed envelope-from address, or
I'd have to approve each of your postings manually.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598