Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 01:02:16 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: got a problem with /tmp

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:22:41PM +0300, Oleg Lukashin wrote:

Hi,

> I've got a non-standart problem with /tmp. I need to make /tmp as
> a symlink to /var/tmp, but cannot do this, because of hidden
> /tmp/.private/root, that cannot be deleted. Who making these dirs
> (i mean under /tmp)

pam_mktemp does.  The reason /tmp/.private is append-only is for
pam_mktemp to co-exist with Red Hat's tmpwatch (if you install it on
Owl).  This has been done prior to our inclusion of stmpwatch which
wouldn't attempt to remove the per-user subdirectories for another
reason.  Now that stmpclean is a part of Owl, there's hardly a reason
for one to install tmpwatch so I am considering reverting this change.

To remove your current /tmp, you first need to do:

chattr -a /tmp/.private

> and if there is any way to make such a symlink?

Yes.  And such a setup is supported by Owl.

Moreover, Owl also supports a setup where everything that is
traditionally placed on other than root filesystem is combined on one
other partition, I typically call it /space.  /tmp, /var, /home are
then made symlinks to directories under /space.  A setup like this is
useful for relatively small drives where further disk partitioning
would make it harder to use disk space reasonably.  BTW, supporting
this really required some work from me, in particular vitmp(1) and its
uses by crontab(1), edquota(8), "fc" command in bash, and some bug
reporting scripts.

To avoid the problem you ran into and potentially others, I suggest
that symlink setups like this are prepared prior to the initial
installation of Owl, -- at the same time when you first mount your
filesystems.

--
/sd