Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 03:21:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: java

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:22:24PM +0300, Kagan Kongar wrote:

> Any success running java apps on Owl?

I know that people do, in particular with Oracle installs.  We have one
at DataForce, I think with three different versions of JDK for different
components of Oracle (not an Owl-specific problem).  I didn't install
it myself, so don't know all details.

Also note this FAQ entry for the kernel patch (if you're using it and
have enabled the non-executable user stack option):

Q: Are any applications known to require executable stack and/or the
traditional default mmap() address?
A: Yes.  JDK 1.3 and XFree86 4.0.1 (only with the commercial nVidia GeForce
drivers) have been reported to not work unless chstk'ed.  Many Win32
applications and DLL's (such as video codecs) are non-relocateable and
must be loaded at their default address which mustn't be already taken
by the shared libraries of a Linux application such as Wine or MPlayer.
Simply chstk'ing the "wine" and "mplayer" binaries solves this problem.

--
/sd