Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:44:45 -0000 (UTC)
From: <soso@...ymonkey.org>
To: <owl-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: ftp mirror

Hi-

Re:

> Everything's great, except for the bandwidth.  If we make it official,
> you may expect your link to be saturated whenever we announce the next
> big release.  We don't plan to make releases very often, though.
>
> The average bandwidth usage for ftp{1,2}.ru.openwall.com during the day
> after announcing Owl 1.0 was around 2 Mbps (over 20 GB downloaded in one
> day).  (They're currently both at DataForce ISP.)  People on fast links
> have also been getting transfer rates of hundreds KBs per second,
> including many all the way to the US, and in a few cases even over 1
> MB/sec (Europe only).  Nergal said the number of downloads was similar
> for ftp.pl.openwall.com (it's on a slower link, though).  For other
> mirrors, I don't know.
>
> If you still want me to list it as one of the US mirrors (hopefully not
> the only one), I will gladly do so.

Go ahead and list it!  I have a limit of 20 concurrent users right now.
If I get maxed out for a day or two, I won't die.  We'll see what kind of
bandwidth my network can handle, anyway :)  And hopefully, as you say,
others will want to open up their ftp servers as well.  Maybe you could
note my bandwidth when you list my server, though, so that no one is
surprised.

> You'll probably want to correct the FTP banner:
>
> 220 220 ftp.busymonkey.org - mirror site for Openwall Gnu/Linux

Done.

Thanks,
Steve Olszewski
soso at busymonkeyNOSPAM. dot org