Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:44:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: User adding and /etc/skel files

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 05:02:40PM +0200, Radek Michalski wrote:

Hi,

> I'm new to Owl (until now it look very good for me, but simple mc would be
> helpful. I think I know why it isn't included - we browse even if we don't
> need to, mc makes it easier :)

No, that's not the reason.  mc is a complicated piece of software
which surely contains lots of vulnerabilities yet to be discovered.
It even includes network client code.  We review and fix such code
prior to inclusion in Owl (of course, we may still miss bugs, but
anyway).  For mc this is not worth it.  We also try to include only
one implementation of a feature (such as FTP client), unless there
really is a good reason to do otherwise or it would be significantly
more work to do otherwise.

We provide sufficient compatibility (including binary and package
level) to install mc on top of Owl.

> and I've got one question about useradd
> command. I can't do it working to use /etc/skel files and copy those to new
> users home dirs. /etc/default/useradd points correctly to the path:
> SKEL=/etc/skel, users are correctly added to /etc/password and related
> files, but I cannot make it working. Any ideas?

Works for me.  Are you passing the -m option to useradd, or have you
set CREATE_HOME to yes in /etc/login.defs?  I recommend using the -m.

Our useradd differs from Red Hat's (but matches the default behavior
of official shadow suite utilities) in that it doesn't create user
home directories by default.  This is a conscious decision.

--
/sd