Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:42:25 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Installing on old machine

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 06:37:03PM +0100, Stephan Lagerholm wrote:

Hi Stephan,

Michael has already posted several useful hints, so I'll just provide
some official answers.

> Im trying to install OWL

It's Owl, please. ;-)

> on an old x86-P90 with 16 meg memory that are unable to boot via CD-rom.

That's fine.

> Questions:
>
> 1. I have bootable redhat on the hd, can that be used in some way to
>    force the machine to boot from cdrom?

As Michael has explained, yes.  But an easier way should work, see below.

> 2. Is it possible at all to install on that machine? Performance is not
>    an issue here. As far as I remeber RedHat told me that it needed to
>    turn on swap right away during installation in order to succed.

I _think_ 8 MB is the minimum for our installation CD.  But I haven't
actually tested with so little memory myself.  If you do, please let
us know the results.  If there're any problems installing with your
16 MB, we'll fix that as a bug.  That is clearly a reasonable amount
of memory to support.

> 3. The boot floppy don't give the cdrom as an option to boot from. Have I
>    missed something here?

Yes, I think you have missed something, -- that all options it gives
work for CD-ROM's.  Just pick the right device.

--
/sd