Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:26:29 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wrong entries in wtmp

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 09:38:36PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> The part of our su logging that really is questionable is that it adds
> new entries to utmp (not wtmp, for which that is fine) for "su -"
> sessions.  This makes you appear to be logged in twice.  Perhaps it
> should replace the existing entry and restore it when the su session
> ends.  This has been on TODO for a while now.

OK, I think I've fixed this one.  Will be in the next snapshot.

* Fri Mar 01 2002 Solar Designer <solar@....openwall.com>
- Pick the best match utmp entry to replace when ut_id's don't match; if
that was the case, leave ut_id at what it was in utmp such that the entry
may be manipulated with pututline(3).

We could enforce some ut_id conventions for Owl, but we also want to
co-exist with software which isn't a part of Owl (such as xterm's).

--
/sd