Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:38:36 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wrong entries in wtmp

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:26:55PM +0100, Janusz wrote:
> Just a short description of the problem.

Yes, thanks.

> 4. the end of root's session, and another check:
> januz    pts/0        me               Fri Mar  1 20:27   still logged in
> root     pts/0        localhost        Fri Mar  1 20:26 - 20:27  (00:00)
> januz    pts/0        me               Fri Mar  1 20:26 - 20:26  (00:00)
> reboot   system boot  2.2.19           Fri Mar  1 20:24          (00:03)
>
> This time it reports my ,,come back'' from machime ,,me''.

Well, while this "su -" behavior is a little unusual, I don't see
anything obviously wrong with it.  What behavior would you prefer?
Not logging the su sessions into wtmp at all (which I believe is the
case for most other implementations)?

The part of our su logging that really is questionable is that it adds
new entries to utmp (not wtmp, for which that is fine) for "su -"
sessions.  This makes you appear to be logged in twice.  Perhaps it
should replace the existing entry and restore it when the su session
ends.  This has been on TODO for a while now.

--
/sd