Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 04:41:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: szumek@...ik.gdynia.pl
Subject: Re: Howto install

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 04:16:34PM +0200, Michal Fryska wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying to install my first OWL Linux on new machine, that contains no

s/OWL/Owl/ please. ;-)

> operating system at all. I've tried to boot from CD I had made from iso
> image (Owl-current-20011616.iso), but it seems to be impossible. I've got
> the following errors:
>
> INIT: version 2.78 booting
> Setting up a RAM disk
> mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> tar: ./etc/inittab: Cannot open: No space left on device
> tar: ./etc/inputrc: Cannot open: No space left on device
> ... and so on.

Oops.  Sorry for this and thanks for the report.

The very availability of ISO images was undocumented until now and
this was the first one that got to the FTP mirrors.

It looks like we need someone to test the -current ISO's that are
going to be generated every few weeks.  If anyone wants to volunteer
for this job, please let me know. ;-)

I've just fixed this ramdisk inode count problem and generated a new
ISO image.  I've also committed the updated installation instructions
(Owl/doc/INSTALL) which document installation from the CD.

> Is there a possibility to boot such image at all, or I have to use another
> Linux distribution CD to create partitions on my discs and build OWL
> installation packages?

You have three options:

1. Try today's ISO image.  Maybe use a CD-RW this time. ;-)

2. Boot your existing (broken) Owl CD with init=/bin/sh and hack from
there.

3. Use another Linux installation (on your hard disk or a suitable CD)
and install Owl from there.

Of course I would appreciate it if you try the latest and let us know
if it works for you.

--
/sd