Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 02:04:25 +0000
From: Hans-Joachim Picht <hans@...ht.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 0.2-prerelease/stable?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:46:52PM +0400, solar@...nwall.com wrote:

Hi,

> I've decided to ask this question here, in the hope to get feedback
> from both the developers and the (potential) users of Owl --

As far as it seems not many people seem to be on this list or are likely
to give feedback :(

> Do we need an Owl 0.2-prerelease (possible in a few weeks from now)
> and then its corresponding stable branch (to replace 0.1-stable)?

I would not release a second stable relase, only bugfixes and patches
and a couple of current-snapshots in order to make extensive testing
possible, parallel to the direct current tree availabe on the ftp
mirrors.

> The situation is this.  Right now, Owl-current is binary-compatible
> with 0.1-prerelease/stable in the sense that both upgrades to -current
> and downgrades to -stable are possible with "make installworld" and
> individual packages from -current may be installed on 0.1-stable.

As most of the the major distributions gnu/linux distributions have a
stable and unstable branch, f.ex running kernel 2.2 and glibc2.1 in in
stable and kernel 2.4 with glibc 2.2.* in unstable a upgrade is possible
but a downgrade would be a bloody job.

> We're planning to break this before 1.0, supporting upgrades to it
> only.  However, 1.0 is going to take months to release, and during
> that time it may be desirable to use the additional packages and other
> improvements we'll manage to get into -current after 0.1-prerelease
> but before we break binary compatibility.  This is why the question.

I don't have a problem using a stable release on some sort of production
system and unstable on a development platform, even if I not yet running
any production systems using your distribution.

--
With best regards
Hans - Joachim Picht  <hans@...ht.org>