Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:24:40 +0300
From: Jarno Huuskonen <Jarno.Huuskonen@....fi>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: sysklogd

On Wed, May 23, solar@...nwall.com wrote:
> We need to update to 1.4.1 for the newer klogd, but we also need to
> switch to an alternative syslogd.

Have you decided which alternative ? If I remeber correctly this was discussed
on security-audit list.

> > This version (klogd) has a bug: NULL-byte? can
> > cause klogd to consume all available cpu. I think this happens at least with
> > 2.4.x 3c59x-driver.
>
> After about 20 minutes of searching, I actually found that there
> really is the bug matching your description.  It's not fixed with 1.4
> and I believe was never reported to the proper places despite being
> fixed in Debian three months ago (with 1.4.1, which I haven't seen
> announced).  I'll bring this to vendor-sec now.  Thanks.

Yes, the fixed version is 1.4.1 (not 1.4 like I remembered)
I noticed the problem about 2 months ago with my laptop, because after every
suspend/resume (reloading the network driver) klogd ate 100% cpu. After
searching if others had noticed the same symptoms I found that 1.4.1 has the
bug fixed.

The 1.4.1 version is available from:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/daemons/
(I think the klogd cpu bug is mentioned in the changelog).

-Jarno

--
Jarno Huuskonen - System Administrator   |  Jarno.Huuskonen@....fi
University of Kuopio - Computer Center   |  Work:   +358 17 162822