Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 22:07:13 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: recent updates

On 12-Jul-2014 21:52:49 +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:

 >> Most of `make installworld` issues are easily fixed by splitting
 >> the installorder.conf lines. Some lines fail, but they are likely
 >> to succeed on a next iteration.
 > Well, I'm solving it a bit differently :). I usually just do
 > something like 'rpm -Uvh --root /owl *.rpm' and save the output
 > of the installation -- RPM resolves all dependencies and re-orders
 > the packages to meet the dependency tree. Then it's just a matter
 > of following that order and it's quite clear where a new package
 > or a new dependency should go.

Another option (for upgrade): `rpm -Fvh --aid --root /owl *.rpm`
However, sometimes that may fail...

 > Frankly, I still fail to understand why we are doing it manually
 > instead of relying on RPM's dependency solver. Personally, I'm
 > not using 'make installworld' at all: I have lists of packages
 > I use for a specific usage scenario and install them using just
 > one transaction. It's quick, resolves dependencies, and is nice
 > looking. :).

I do almost the same, but, as I have lots of modern hardware, I have
to rebuild almost everything, starting with kernel 2.6.32...
Well, it's still the Owl, but heavily plucked one :-)

 >> Should I step in to do that, or you'd like to do that yourself?
 > The primary issue was the extraction of the new RPM out of the
 > installation media. I've just committed my version of it (I'm
 > not happy about the way I did it, but it works).

Ok. I'll try to rebuild everything from the CVS and publish here my
suggestions for modifying installorder.conf

 > I guess we need to drop all legacy stuff from installworld.sh now.

s/drop/try dropping/ :-)

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net