Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:27:29 +0400
From: "(GalaxyMaster)" <galaxy@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: massive Owl userland updates

All,

This is an update on my progress.  I've prepared the first batch of
changes.  The full rebuild of Owl goes fine.  Currently I'm waiting on
Solar's "green light" to start committing my changes.  We had a
conversation with Solar and it's my understanding that Solar wants to
fix the current state as, say, Owl 3.1, so my change will go to the
current branch.  This requires some time from Solar, which he clearly
currently lacks. :(

Switching to RPM 4.11.2 revealed a handful of issues with our tree.
Starting with minor things like wrong dates in our spec changelogs,
missing unpackaged files (it seems that RPM 4.2's script for checking
for unpackaged files has an issue and skips over files -- e.g. the
postfix package installs the lmtp symlink into /usr/libexec/postfix, but
that file was not detected by our previous RPM build scripts), files
listed more than once in file lists, etc.  It also turned out that
many of our packages contain fuzzy patches (patches which do not apply
cleanly).  There were more than 30 of such packages and it took a while
to locate and regenerate these patches.

I've fixed all these issues, so my tree is building cleanly.  However, I
did extensive tests on i686 only since a full rebuild of Owl on my
server takes 1.5 hours and to fire x86_64 build system requires me to
shutdown my 32-bit system and instantiate the 64-bit one -- which I'm
doing just occasionally.

I also spotted a lot of inconsistencies throughput the packages, so I'm
working on a document that would describe the spec file conventions more
cleanly and be more strict than the current documentation under
native/Owl/doc (it's good, but I believe it should be reviewed and
extended a bit).  I also plan to write a conformance checking script to
test specs for following the conventions.

Below is a brief summary of the work I've done during the last month:
===
sources@...lder-32:~/owl-dist $ ls -lh owl-update.diff
-rw------- 1 sources sources 1.8M Jun 29 06:52 owl-update.diff
sources@...lder-32:~/owl-dist $ diffstat owl-update.diff | tail -1