Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:59:48 +0200 (CEST)
From: Gilles Espinasse <g.esp@...e.fr>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PIE on x86_64

----- Mail original -----

Not a big issue in practice actually. textrel are detected using -Wl,--warn-shared-textrel -Wl,--fatal-warnings in the hardened patch.

Compiling actually a 32-bit x86 distrib with a hardened gcc-4.4.5 (no fancy X packages), the issues during compilation that remain are workaround with :
- for gnupg-1.4, for psmisc
LDFLAGS    += -pie

- for syslinux-4
CFLAGS    += -fno-PIE -nopie -norelro -nonow -nocombreloc
LDFLAGS   := -nopie

There is another issue running some test suites.
Basically for gcc and gdb, hardening is disabled by default while running make check. Or you have numerous patches to apply to fix the test suites.

Gilles