Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:02:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: strace

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:52:05PM +0400, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:17:21PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> > On i686, it fails.  It prints lots of restart_syscall() lines instead of
> > the actual syscall info.
>
> Does it happen with i686 strace running under x86_64 or i686 kernel?

Both of my tests today were under i686 host kernels.  One was on host
system (and newer kernel), the other OpenVZ container (and older kernel).
I did not test this on x86_64 host today.  Perhaps you're right and it'd
work fine there, which is why we did not notice this earlier.

> restart_syscall is syscall number 0.  Could the difference between older
> and newer asm/ptrace.h versions be so fatal?

Without looking into this myself, I don't know.

Alexander