Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:13:50 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: glibc: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed

Vasily,

It appears that our (old) glibc has this bug:

http://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-hacker/2005-03/msg00043.html
http://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2005-03/msg00049.html

Indeed, we should upgrade to recent glibc in Owl-current soon, yet we
could want to include a backport of a fix for this bug in 3.0-stable.

Here's how I reproduce it (Owl-current on i686, plus some X/desktop stuff):

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./firefox
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/generic/dl-tls.c: 75: _dl_next_tls_modid: Assertion `result <= _rtld_local._dl_tls_max_dtv_idx' failed!

Older versions of Firefox work fine, newer versions fail like this.

Indeed, Owl is not a desktop system, but the bug might show up with
other programs as well.

It is unclear to me (without having spent much time on it) what the
correct fix is.  I doubt that the patch posted by Martin Schlemmer to
libc-alpha is the correct fix.  We need to see how the bug was patched
in official glibc (maybe in 2.3 branch after 2.3.6?) and backport that,
if it's not too much effort.  (First briefly test in Owl-current, then
get it into 3.0-stable, then upgrade Owl-current to new glibc.)

Can you look into this, please?

Alexander