Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:59:59 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: tcsh updated

On 22-Jul-2012 16:30:24 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

 > > 1. Dropped obsolete patches, including -owl-tmp, as tcsh uses
 > > mkstemp() now
 > > 2. Recreated other patches
 > > 3. Re-enabled color output for built-in `ls-F`
 > > 4. Introduced the /etc/skel/.tcshrc file
 > > 5. Moved most settings from /etc/csh.login to /etc/csh.cshrc
 >
 > I think you forgot to document #3 above in %changelog in tcsh.spec
 > - please add a mention of it in there.

ACK.

 > As to #5, you're trying to sneak in additional settings, which
 > reflect your own preferences, but I think might not be appropriate
 > for Owl defaults. For example, we don't currently provide any
 > non-default completions, neither for bash nor for tcsh, and I like
 > it that way.

My experience shows these limitations affect usability and even scare
away people who otherwise could become our users. The lack of comfort
scares less, the lack of software scares most...

 > If we start providing completions that take into consideration
 > "ps" output and then more things, it is non-obvious where to stop
 > with adding them [...]
 > So can you actually reduce this to just "moving" settings (as you
 > document this change) rather than adding to them? If we later agree
 > that additions are desirable, they should be made with a separate
 > commit and documented in the spec file.

ACK. I think I can mostly move them to /etc/skel/.tcshrc and leave
commented out, so people who need them can easily uncomment them.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>