Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:13:05 +0400
From: Vasily Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: strace with restart_syscall output (was: status of 2.6.32-based
 kernel)

Solar, Dmitry, all -

Finally I got a bootable kernel.  It was a bug in CONFIG_EVENT_TRACING=y
code.  I've disabled all *TRACE* config options which selects
CONFIG_EVENT_TRACING.

Solar, please tell me when it is OK to commit (1) patches for userspace
code and (2) the kernel patch itself.

I've tried some tools a bit like modprobe, ip, nmap, ping, brctl --
everything works, except strace.  It shows the same line for every
syscall:

restart_syscall(<... resuming interrupted call ...>) = 12
restart_syscall(<... resuming interrupted call ...>) = 0
restart_syscall(<... resuming interrupted call ...>) = 0

We have the latest strace (4.7), so it is a kernel related bug.  Does
it need any specific config option?

Dmitry, have you faced with such a bug before?

Thanks,

--
Vasily