Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:19:16 +0400
From: Vasily Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Petr Matousek <pmatouse@...hat.com>, Eugene Teo <eugeneteo@...il.com>
Subject: [GSoC] featues to port

Solar, Eugene, Petr -

This is a list of security enhancements/features which I think worth
porting to RHEL6/OpenVZ kernel.  The list is a part of list from:
http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/kernel-hardening

Status is one of the following:
OK - merged into upstream kernel.
DISCUSS - was (is) discussed at LKML, but no explicit ACK/NACK was got.
ACK - the idea was ACK'ed, but patches are not merged yet.
NACK - the idea was explicitly NACK'ed.
nothing - either it was not discussed at LKML or no feedback was received.

BINFMT_ELF_AOUT (cleanup) - nothing

HARDEN_STACK - nothing, needs work

HARDEN_VM86 - nothing, needs discussion

HARDEN_LINK - ACK

HARDEN_FIFO - nothing

HARDEN_PROC - OK

HARDEN_RLIMIT_NPROC - OK, merged into Owl-current

HARDEN_SHM - OK

ASCII-Armor - nothing

SYSFS_RESTRICT - NACK

PAX_USERCOPY - DISCUSS

PAX_REFCOUNT - DISCUSS

32/64-bit restrictions in containers - NACK

log spoofing protection - DISCUSS

Global steps could be:
* moving Owl to RHEL6/OpenVZ-based kernel from RHEL5/OpenVZ-based.
  This includes bug fixing, patching userspace, etc.
* pushing some enhancements to upstream kernel.
* pushing more simple and not disputable enhancements to RHEL6.
* backporting accepted enhancements from upstream kernel to RHEL6/OpenVZ.
* forwardport old but not accepted by upstream enhancements from PaX/Owl kernels.

Only 3 or 4 of enhancements are ready for RHEL6 inclusion - HARDEN_PROC,
HARDEN_RLIMIT_NPROC, HARDEN_SHM, and probably HARDEN_LINK.  If we want
to push anything more, it probably should be discussed in the near time.
I'd want to push at least PAX_USERCOPY feature to the upstream and then
to RHEL6.

I see 2 rough ways to go:

1) - discuss and try to push already accepted features to RHEL6.
   - move Owl to RHEL6 kernel.
   - backport/forwardport features to Owl kernel.

2) the same, but +discuss features marked above as DISCUSS on LKML.

As last summer showed, the most of time was taken by discussions and
disputes on LKML, a bit less was taken by porting GrSecurity/PaX
features with stuctural changes.  Actual _backporting_ is much faster.
So, I think (1) will be fully implemented in less than a summer.  LKML
discussions could be an "idle" task.

The cons are that moving the LKML discussion to the idle state might
move actual RHEL6 porting to the Jul/Aug and not finishing it during the
summer.

--
Vasily