Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:11:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gsoc 2012 participation

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:45:10PM +0300, Mesut Can G?rle wrote:
> I am a MSc student at Dokuz Eylul University(www.deu.edu.tr). I have been
> using debian-ubuntu for 6 years. I was graduated at 2009. Then I worked for
> a firewall distribution called Firelog (www.firelog.com.tr) for 3 years. It
> is a Freebsd based firewall distribution. Last month I quited job. Then I
> turned back to university for master programme. I want to participate GSOC
> programme with Openwall. I am having two classes so I have much free time.

Do you expect to be "accepted into or enrolled in a college or
university program as of April 23, 2012" (quoting this year's GSoC FAQ
entry on eligibility)?

> I think "Support and setup a package repository (for easier
> updates<http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade>),
> possibly with Zypper, yum, or apt" is a good project for me to begin
> working with Openwall.

We're not offering this as a student's sole GSoC project - it is part of
a larger project, and that one has to start with other tasks.
Specifically, we'd like to determine the tool to use for repository
access when we already know what libraries we happen to have in the
system for LAMP.  For example, IIRC, libxml2 will be needed for Zypper,
but if we already have it for our builds of PHP anyway, then it won't be
a drawback of Zypper for us anymore.  So the current plan is to start
with LAMP and then proceed with choice of and packaging of one of these
tools and its remaining prerequisites.

Actual setup of the repository is largely an administrative task, so it
may be a task for people currently on our team, whereas under GSoC we're
offering tasks on getting the relevant software into Owl.

> I think about common Linux package repositories. A
> repository contains binary packages, and a index file to follow some
> package informations like version, hash for files, repo signature etc. This
> information can be stored in a xml file. Also a client tool to manage
> packages, easy command line tool to install, update, delete packages from
> repository. This tool can be used for both Ubuntu, Redhat etc
> distributions. This tool can get system information about 64 bit or
> distribution and do specific jobs according to this. I think we can use
> Python for client application. The first implementation would be done for
> updates.

It sounds like you're proposing to write some application from scratch,
but it is unclear which one and why.  We were not planning to do that as
part of this task.

Thanks,

Alexander