Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:46:10 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: -Wl,-z,now

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 13:59 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> I think speed of invocation of various coreutils commands from shell
> scripts might be relevant in case of scripts with loops.
>
> As an experiment, we may try to see the effect of having -Wl,-z,now
> applied globally on Owl rebuild times (that is, for rebuilds on a system
> that was already built in one of these two ways).  These are dominated
> by gcc, so should probably be unaffected, but we may try anyway.

To test frequent executions of coreutils out of a bash script I've run
the following script at vim's source directory:

	for i in $(seq 1 100); do ./configure; done

It should execute significant number of awk, uname, ls, etc.

The difference in -z,now and without it is negligible - less than a
second of total 19 min 47 secs.  So, I still think we should globally
enable it and disable for specific binaries :-)

Would perl/etc. really suffer from 10% startup slowdown?  AFAIU the most
significant slowdown of web services is SQL or bloated script, but not
an interpreter.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy