Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:30:10 +0200
From: Lauri Kokkonen <lauri.u.kokkonen@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: blists status?

Hi,

I have been considering to work on blists and want to ask if this is
something you would like to see worked on during GSoC. I might start to work
on it outside of GSoC as well provided that I get a clearer picture about
what is to be improved / added.

Looking at the source there seem to be potential portability issues. First,
since the index is read directly from file to structs there arises
endianness problems when carrying the index file from LE arch to BE, for
instance. Second, structs might be padded differently on different archs.
Although maybe this is not serious since the index can just be generated
from the beginning, and fixing those issues will probably just make bindex
slower.

The HTML output stuff has some duplicate code at least for reading the aday
index and printing a list of messages for month and day indices, and might
benefit from a cleanup.

For new features I would personally like to see threaded view. This should
be possible to add without changes to the index format. Another often seen
feature is author view but I am not so sure about it; do you want to
build a rich set of features or go with a compact piece of software?

A search feature would be wonderful. Probably some kind of search index that
links the search term space to individual messages has to be built for
this. There are many different options on how to do this, and some problems
like the order of mbox index entries possibly changing (if I have understood
correctly), so that it probably needs a few candidate implementations and
serious testing.

Do you have other TODO items for blists?

Lauri