Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:45:07 +0800
From: Pavel Labushev <p.labushev@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: %optflags for new gcc

07.11.2011 04:19, Solar Designer wrote:

> Yet 10% is significant for some uses - e.g., think CGI scripts written
> in Perl.

Please, do real-world tests. 10% slower startup time isn't significant in
most cases, where interpreter startup time is about 0.1-30% of total
execution time of a script that does do something real.

> Once we're done with the basics, we could also consider offering prelink
> for programs where startup time is the most important factor, even
> though this goes against security.  Maybe it'd make sense to let our
> users (Owl install admins) build e.g. PHP with prelink (for frequent
> invocation via CGI).

Why support obsolete interfaces like CGI and lazy-bind general purpose apps
in favor of few unrealistic use cases where anything performance-sensitive
supposed to be running in form of a CGI script? Not only php-fpm and mod_php
are much faster than CGI by themselves, but, unlike CGI, they allow bytecode
caching.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)