Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:17:27 +0400
From: "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv@...linux.org>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: glibc update

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 04:12:44PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> But after rpms installation I have weird errors like this:
>
>     # su - build
>     su: Module is unknown

This is PAM_MODULE_UNKNOWN, it means that either at least one of PAM
modules does not provide necessary symbols or libpam is no longer able
to find these symbols (you can consult log files to find out details).

> I thought it is an ABI compatibility issue and tried to rebuild SimplePAMApps:
>
>     $ make PACKAGE=SimplePAMApps
>
>     gcc -c -o login_indep.o  -D_GNU_SOURCE -Wall -W -pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -Wl,
>     -z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wall login_indep.c
>     In file included from login_indep.c:2:0:
>     /usr/include/string.h:548:5: error: unknown type name '__locale_t'
>     /usr/include/string.h:552:18: error: unknown type name '__locale_t'

The __locale_t type is defined in <xlocale.h>; the latter is (in certain
circumstances) included by <string.h>.

> I know source neither of __locale_t error (might be a weird include
> files dependency) nor su error.  I'll post about all future major
> progress/failures on the list.

Yes, please do.  There is always a chance to find here someone ready with
the answer.

--
ldv