Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 06:47:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: syslinux

Vasiliy,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:20:04PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> I've just committed ISOLINUX support for our ISOs.  Please test it,
> all menu choises should work just fine.

Doesn't work for me - when I choose any boot label, the menu simply
flashes and re-appears.  When I press Tab and try to type a custom boot
line, it behaves either the same as the menu choices (returning me to
the menu) or in case I type the name of a symlink (e.g., /bin/sh, which
is a symlink to /bin/bash) in place of kernel image filename, it then
reports an error.  All of this is in QEMU.  The same (outdated) version
of QEMU boots another (non-Owl) ISO that also uses ISOLINUX (an older
version of it) just fine.  I don't know if the same problem would be
seen on real hardware or in another VM - haven't tried yet.

It is possible that I broke something with my additional changes after
yours, but I've already tried reverting many of those changes (in my
test ISO build tree) and it didn't make a difference.

i686 and x86_64 behave the same (fail in the same way as above).

Can you please try to build an ISO from Owl-current with my changes (as
currently committed) and see if it works for you?

Thanks,

Alexander