Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:36:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gcc -fomit-frame-pointer

Hi,

The texinfo documentation for gcc 4.6.1 says:

     Starting with GCC version 4.6, the default setting (when not
     optimizing for size) for 32-bit Linux x86 and 32-bit Darwin x86
     targets has been changed to `-fomit-frame-pointer'.  The default
     can be reverted to `-fno-omit-frame-pointer' by configuring GCC
     with the `--enable-frame-pointer' configure option.

However, my testing on Owl-current/i686 does not confirm this: I am
getting code with frame pointers by default.  Our spec file does not
pass the --enable-frame-pointer configure option.

Is there any substance behind the claim in the texinfo documentation at
all?  Maybe a decision that was made and then reverted?

Alexander