Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:18:38 +0400
From: Vasiliy Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mpc, gmp, mpfr, gcc .specs

Solar,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:43 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Is there any special reason why you've packaged slightly outdated
> versions of gmp (4.3.2 instead of 5.x)

RHEL6 uses 4.3.x.  However:

http://gmplib.org/manual/Compatibility-with-older-versions.html#Compatibility-with-older-versions

"This version of GMP is upwardly binary compatible with all 4.x and 3.x
versions, and upwardly compatible at the source level with all 2.x
versions, with the following exceptions.

    * mpn_gcd had its source arguments swapped as of GMP 3.0, for
    consistency with other mpn functions.

    * mpf_get_prec counted precision slightly differently in GMP 3.0
    and 3.0.1, but in 3.1 reverted to the 2.x style."

Probably we should upgrade to 5.x as it has stable ABI.

>and mpfr (3.0.1 instead of 3.1.0)?

3.1.0 was released October, 15 :-)  I didn't check for new versions when
I was committing it.

So, I think both gmp and mpfr can be updated.

Thanks,

--
Vasiliy