Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:18:46 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: kernel size

On 24-Oct-2011 18:00:53 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

 > With the gcc upgrade, the bzImage size on x86_64 has
 > reduced by 30 KB, but on i686 it increased by 200 KB -
 > which obviously does not fit on the 2.88 MB "floppy".
 > Perhaps we should hurry up with moving to ISOLINUX,
 > but we could also want to investigate this size growth
 > anyway - maybe there's an option to tweak for more
 > optimal kernel builds.

It looks like we waste too much time on these size issues.

In general, we really should move to isolinux and, as we no
longer sell official CDs, we should not bother of ISO image
size any more - instead of that, we may want to hurry with
official support for installation from USB flash drive (my
investigation revealed that will require only some changes
in owl-startup package).

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>