Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:21:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: support for newer Fedora

Hi,

Fedora 13 runs in OpenVZ container on Owl 3.0 and -current just fine.
(In fact, I run Xilinx ISE in this way - a 20 GB software install.)

Fedora 14 is the latest of Fedoras that I am able to run on Owl-current,
after faking the kernel version number with
"sysctl -w kernel.virt_osrelease=2.6.32".  (The kernel actually has the
necessary backports.)  Maybe vzctl should do this for Fedora 14+ on its
own?  Maybe newer vzctl already does it?

Fedora 15 gets stuck in what appears in ps as "init -z".  strace shows
that it's doing pause().  I guess systemd is incompatible with our
kernel and/or vzctl.  Is this something we can fix without major
updates?  I'd like a fix suitable for 3.0-stable if possible.  (Indeed,
we'll eventually update to RHEL 6 kernels and latest vzctl in
Owl-current, which will obviously make Fedora 15+ work.)

I haven't looked into these issues yet; I am hoping that someone else in
here already did (not necessarily in Owl context).  (I suppose I could
as well ask on OpenVZ lists, but our use of older vzctl base version is
our problem, not theirs.)

Thanks,

Alexander